Want relief for your tired, dry, computer-strained eyes? Want to focus with more ease? Do you want relief from minor headaches? Trataka Meditation, also known as candle gazing, is one of the Ayurvedic yoga kriya cleansing exercises for the body that can help with these issues and much more!
I especially love doing Trataka in the spring time, when the energy of our Liver and Gall Bladder organs and meridians tend to become imbalanced from the Chinese Medicine perspective. These organs are associated with the eyes and our ability to follow through on projects with more direction and less frustration.
Watch the video below, or read on for instructions on how to do the meditation. You may also want to check out my stress-relieving acupressure guide, which would be a wonderful accompaniment to this Ayurvedic technique. You can get it here:
Trataka Candle Gazing Meditation
Benefits of Trataka
Trataka is a has many wonderful benefits. People perform Trataka in order to:
- tone the muscles of the eyes which may improve vision
- relax and moisten the eyes
- relieve minor headaches
- calm the mind
- promote better sleep
- increase the power of your imagination
- develop clairvoyance
- connect with the spiritual light inside
How to do Trataka Candle Gazing Meditation
Trataka is one of the easiest, most relaxing meditations you can try. Even kids can do it!
Just know that this meditation is not appropriate for people suffering from migraines or severe eye issues, such as just had eye surgery. It’s also a good idea to go very slowly if one has had any psychological trauma.
- It’s best to be in a dim or dark room.
- Light a candle, placing it at the same height as your eyes.
- Sit about an arms length away from it in a comfortable position.
- Take a few deep breaths, relaxing your mind into your body.
- Gaze at the tip of the candle flame, the brightest part, without blinking. Continue to gaze until your eyes start to water or for up to ~ 30 seconds.
- Then close your eyes and gently concentrate on the image of the flame that may still be present against your eyelids, or imagine the candle flame if the image disappears.
- Concentrate here for ~ 1 min. or so.
- Repeat this process 3 more times.
Once you’re done, take some deep even breaths with the eyes closed to fully come back. If you’d like, you can imagine that the candle flame is burning bright in your heart space, symbolic of the light inside you.
Be sure you blow out the candle!
Let me know how you feel, in the comments below, after doing this Trataka Candle Gazing meditation! I hope you have the relief or connection you desire!