My body was put to the test last week when I pulled a calf muscle in tennis class that left me unable to walk normally for several days. Even though it was extremely painful, I knew that it wasn’t serious enough to see a doctor and that I had everything I needed to heal myself. One of the greatest tools I used in my natural health arsenal was application of therapeutic-grade essential oils 2-3 times a day in the form of a healing salve. It’s been a week and my calf is already operating at ~ 90%!
Salves can be infused with dried or fresh herbs. Or you can use essential oils, which are much quicker and easier to incorporate! Salves are especially soothing because nourishing carrier oils are used to keep the herbs on the skin longer so the plant medicine can penetrate through.
I suggest using beeswax pellets, which are less complicated to measure than the block beeswax I used for this recipe. If you must use beeswax blocks, you may want to use a cheese grater to shave it off in smaller pieces since cutting the block with a knife is very difficult and you risk hurting yourself (and your knife!)
Listed below are some of the best essential oils for your healing salve (choose 1-4 for this recipe). I would suggest you combine them based on function, not necessary how well they smell together! Only use therapeutic grade oils. See my essential oil website page for more information about the brand of oils I stand by.
Essential Oils That Support Healing
- Lemongrass – muscle tension relief & repair
- Marjoram – muscle tension relief, soothes nerves, promotes relaxation
- Copaiba – calms nervous system, powerful antioxidant, supports a healthy inflammatory response (contains betacaryophyllene which binds directly to CB2 receptors like CBD oil but without the psychoactive properties).
- Peppermint – helps resolve pain
- Lavender – one of the most versatile oils, helps relax muscles, supports healthy inflammatory response & tissue repair.
- Helichrysum – supports the body with blood clotting and tissue repair
- Myrrh – soothing for the skin, an ancient health aid
- Cypress – increases circulation of blood & energy
Basic Healing Salve Recipe
- 8 oz. cold-pressed organic coconut oil
- 1 oz. beeswax (pellets are best)
- 1/8 tsp. vitamin E (optional)
- 40 drops therapeutic-grade essential oils (I used 10 drops each of Lemongrass, Marjoram, Peppermint, and Copaiba)
- 8 oz. glass jar
Place coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler and melt completely under low heat. Remove from heat and add vitamin E (if using) and the essential oils. Immediately pour into the glass jar. Allow it to cool completely before putting on the lid. Store in a cool location, where it should last 1-3 years.
Voila! It’s that easy. You will be so grateful that you took the 10 minutes to make this salve! I’m eager to hear how it works for you. Please let us all know in the comments! Well wishes to you all…